Can I renew my passport without sending the old passport back?

Old Passport

If you want to renew your old passport by mail, you must send your current passport to the passport office along with a completed renewal application. (Remember to use black ink on the form). This is only temporary, though. Once the passport processing center is finished processing your renewal, they will return your old passport to you with markings so it cannot be used again. Keep your old passport in a safe place.

Lost or Damage

The exceptions to this rule are if your passport has been lost, damaged, stolen, or otherwise altered. Under these circumstances, passports cannot be renewed by mail. In order to renew a lost, damaged or stolen passport, you must apply in person at a passport office.  Remember to bring all the require documents with you. Without these documents, the process will take a bit longer time.

Additional Exceptions

Even if you do still hold an undamaged passport in your possession, there are addictional factors you must meet in order to renew through the mail. These include:

Possessing an old passport that was issued after the age of 16

Possessing an old passport that was issued less than 15 years prior to renewal. That is a passport issued to a minor.

Having the same name you had when the original passport was issued. If your name was changed, then you must include the proper documents that shows the change.

If you meet these three criteria, you can renew your passport by sending it in to the passport processing center with your application. If you fail to meet these criteria, you must reapply for your passport at a passport office. This process is not for someone who wants to expedite their passport process. For expedite services, contact an expedite service agent or a passport agent for this service.