How to get my passport if I am missing my birth certificate?

Question: How does an individual get a passport if they lost their birth certificate?

Answer: The individual can apply for a certified copy of their birth certificate. It must be the long form and issued by the city, state or county. The certified copy of the birth certificate must have the clerk’s raised, impressed, embossed, or multicolor seal. In addition, the issuing clerk’s signature, the date the certified copy of the certificate was filed at the clerk’s office.

The individual may also present secondary evidence of their U.S. citizenship. The documents include the following: hospital issue birth record, medical record of the individuals delivery and post deliver care while in the hospital, immunization records that are dated the year the individual was born, early records from school (such as the immunization record required by the school and enrollment papers from the first school attended.)

Other forms of secondary evidence can include census record, baptismal record, and family bible record. These documents must have the individuals full name, date of birth, and place of birth listed on them. When the individual is using secondary documentation evidence, they will generally need more than one document.

They will also be required to provide proof of identification such as a driver’s license, government issued identification card, or a military identification card.