No Fee Passport – Who can get a no fee passport

Getting a no fee passport is not possible if you are a regular citizen applying for a passport. A No Fee Passport is only applicable to people employ by the U.S. Government. Government employees may use their passport to travel to other countries on official business or in case of an emergency.

No Fee Passport

Government employees are able to obtain their passports without paying a fee. These employees who receive a no fee passport book  are able to:

  • Travel overseas for the U.S. Government.
  • Accompanying a Government employee as a dependent.
  • Traveling overseas on assignments for the U.S. Government.
  • Exempt by law from paying a passport fee per the Code of Federal Regulations, Title 22, Chapter 1, Subchapter F, §51.52.
  • In possession of a letter issued by the American Battle Monuments Commission. The letter must indicate you are traveling abroad in honor of a deceased family member who served in the Armed Forces.

Who and Where To Apply For a No Fee Passport

To apply for this type of passport, individuals must contact their applicable travel office for additional instructions. For example:

  • A military service member must  consult the travel office at his or her installation.
  • Federal civilian employees should contact the travel office at their agency headquarters.
  • Peace Corp travelers should contact the agency travel office.
  • State Department personnel should consult their designated Personnel Technician or Bureau Executive Office.
  • Any other eligible applicants should get in touch with their elected Congressional Representative or send an email to: CA-PPT-SIA-Communications@state.gov.


No fee passport books can only be used by Government employees who will travel overseas.