Name Change – What to do to get a passport

When a person gets a passport, the process is rather simple. Then again, it can also take several weeks, sometimes months, for the passport to be officially issued. If a person got a name change, it will be imperative to have this change reflected on the passport. To do this, a passport renewal will have to take place.

Name Change Process

Fortunately, getting a renewed passport with a name change is simple. A person will usually need the following:

  • Current US passport
  • Passport photo
  • Some type of certified paper showing that a name change has taken place, such as a marriage certificate

If a person’s current passport was acquired within the previous 12 months, the following requirements have to be met:

  • Pay a passport fee
  • Show current valid passport
  • Fill out and submit DS-5504 Application Form
  • Provide some of verified proof of the name change

If a person’s current passport wasn’t issued in the past 12 months, the DS-82 Application Form for Passport Renewal has to be filled out and submitted. When a person has none of the documents discussed above, the DS-11 Application Form for New Passport has to be filled out and submitted along with some type of evidence supporting the change.