New Passport

Do you need to get a passport for the first time? You would have to follow certain criteria that are required for a new passport such as:

  • if you are applying for your first U.S passport
  • if you are under age 16
  • if your previous U.S passport was issued when you were under age 16
  • if your previous U.S passport was lost, stolen, or damaged
  • if your previous U.S passport was issued more than 15 years ago
  • if your name has changed since your U.S. passport was issued and you are unable to legally document your name change

The following requirements only apply to adult passports:

There are a number of documents required for a new passport for adults such as completing a passport application known as Passport Application DS-11, providing proof of identity, providing one passport photo, paying a passport fee and photocopying your ID.

Filling in the wrong form can cause delays so be sure to read it properly before completing, making sure to check the difference between child and adult.

The requirements for obtaining a child’s passport are completing a DS-11 application form for a new passport, providing two passport photo, the child’s proof of citizenship, parental consent and a passport fee. Applying for this kind of passport is a lot harder than an adult passport due to the number of abductions. This process should be done as soon as possible.

Both parents would have to be present of course, with the child, when applying for a passport for a baby. If the minor has a passport that’s expired or almost expired, a new passport application form would have to be filled out.

When your application for your passport is filled out, you would have to visit your local passport acceptance agency in your area for a State Department Representative to witness your new passport application signature. As long as this is done and you have paid your execution fee to the local acceptance agency, you would have your passport in one of the following methods:

Procedures for getting a new passport

You can get your new passport by submitting the necessary passport documents for your new passport as stated above, at the closest passport offices in your area. There are many

passport acceptance agencies, court houses and county clerk offices throughout the U.S that would be able to process passport applications.

You can also go to your nearest regional passport agency with all your documents as well as your travel agency with all relevant documents with your travel itinerary that shows you will be leaving the country in an emergency within two weeks. Walk-ins are accepted, even though appointments are recommended.

Be sure to walk with all required documents listed above to avoid any setbacks. The quickest way to get your passport is to enlist the help of a passport expediting company. Through an expediter your passport would be delivered to you in less than 48 hours.

Finding a U.S passport office

Although the amount of passport offices have diminished by over ten percent, there are more than eight thousand facilities where United States citizens can go to apply to get a new passport.

Most passport application acceptance facilities are located in post offices and clerks of court. It can also be found in public libraries and other state, county, township and municipal government offices.

The name of the application is Form DS-11 for New Passport this form is to be submitted by U.S. citizens in order to obtain first-time passports, replacement of one’s lost, stolen or damaged U.S. passport renewal of a passport that has been expired for more than 5 years and renewal of passports issued to a minor age 15 or younger.

The completed, but unsigned application form must be presented to an agent at a passport acceptance facility or regional agency along with required supporting documents. The answers to frequently asked questions below would help you understand where to get the form and how to complete it properly.

Click the appropriate link below to get a list of the passport offices in your state. When applying at an application acceptance facility, you should present the completed, unsigned application Form DS-11 and supporting documents to the authorized agent. Normal processing takes four to six weeks but expedited services would cut the wait time in half. For emergencies appointments would have to be made at a regional passport agency near you or through an express passport service.