Passport Applications

Whether you need to apply for your first passport, renew your current one, apply for a replacement for a lost, stolen, or damaged passport or apply for a passport for a minor child, there is a specific form that corresponds to the service that you need. Processing costs will vary depending on whether you need the standard service or the expedited service. Following are information on general passport applications.

Paperwork Needed for Passport Applications

Before you can apply for a U.S. passport, you must have all paperwork in order. For your passport applications, you need to demonstrate proof that you are a U.S. citizen, and evidence of your identity. For each category, there is primary proof and secondary proof. To show that you are a citizen, you need to provide a current U.S. passport, a U.S birth certificate, naturalization certificate, certificate of citizenship or a birth abroad certificate.

If you do not have easy access to any of these documents, you may prove your citizenship by showing your social security card with another card identifying you as a resident. You may then prove your identity by showing current government-issued identification in the state of California with your picture, such as a driver’s license.

DS-11 Application for New Passport

One passport applications form is the DS-11. You will need to fill out a DS-11 Application form for a New Passport if any of the following conditions apply: Download the DS-11 Passport Form here

  • You are applying for a U.S, passport for the first time
  • You are under 16 years of age
  • You were under the age of 16 when you received your first passport
  • Your first passport was issued more than 15 years ago
  • You have legally changed your name since receiving your previous U.S. passport and you can’t legally document the change
  • Your passport has been stolen, lost, or damaged

DS-82 Application Form for Passport Renewal

Another passport applications form id the DS-82. The DS-82 Application Form for Passport Renewal provides you with the option to renew your passport by mail. However, if any of the following conditions are not ture, you will have to apply for a new passport in person at a regional passport agency:

  • Your most recent passport is undamaged — it will need to be submitted with your DS-82 form
  • Your most recent passport was issued when you were 16 years of age or older and was issued within the past 15 years
  • Your passport was issued in your current name or if you can legally document your name change by providing your original marriage certificate, a certified copy of it, or other government-issued paperwork documenting a legal name change.

DS-64 Lost or Stolen Passport Application Form

In the event that your passport becomes lost or stolen, you will need to report that immediately. This will protect you from identity theft as well as prevent someone else from using your passport. In order to report and replace a stolen or lost passport, you will need to do the following: Download the DS-64 Application Here

  • If you are traveling within two weeks or less, you will need to make an appointment at a regional passport agency so that you can get it replaced within five business days.
  • You will need to show proof of travel plans at the time of the appointment
  • If you are not planning on traveling within two weeks, you will still need to submit form DS-64 in person to a regional passport agency

DS-5504 Name Change Application Form

  • If your name has changed since you were last issued a passport or if it was issued with an error in your name, you will need to use form DS-5504.
  • You can submit form DS-5504 via U.S. mail along with your current passport, a new 2″ by 2″ color passport photo, and a copy of your name change document.
  • Form DS-5504 may also be sued to correct printing and spelling errors in your current passport.
  • There is no charge for receiving a new passport to reflect a name change or to correct an error in your name unless you require expedited service.

Download the DS-5504 Application Form here

DS-3053 Statement of Consent Application Form

A DS-3053 form is used in a passport application for a minor in the event that both parents are not able to be present in person at the issuing agency at the time of application. The DS-3053 is a statement of consent from the parent or guarding who is not able to be present.

  • All minors under the age of 16 must have the consent of both parents or guardians before a passport can be issued.
  • If there is only one legal parent or guardian, official proof must be presented at the time of application.
  • Form DS-3053 must be signed by the absent parent and notarized.

Download DS-3053 Application Form Here